The church of Christ in Martinez, California, was born in June of 1935 with four families – Jim and Edna Biggers, Frank and Lela Dubose, Roy and Margaret Fisher, and Earl and Arthie Wilkerson. They met in a rented hall. With the assistance of members from the Oakland and San Francisco areas, a small auditorium was completed in 1937 at Palm and Almond Streets, under the active leadership of Wade Ruby, minister of the Berkeley church. The auditorium and educational facilities were enlarged in 1953 to accommodate approximately 225 people and a residence for a minister was built on the south side of the church house.
In 1937, Brother Everett Evans became the first paid preacher. He worked full time for the Associated Oil Company in Avon and preached for the congregation through 1945. On December 14, 1952, our first two elders and three deacons were selected and appointed. Elders: Jim Biggers and Charles Buchanan. Deacons: Don Backans, C.J. Hamrick, and Ralph Tipps.
These men have served as ministers to all ages: John Brown, Bobby Deason, Claude Doggett, Ron Downey, Everett Evans, Rob Hartley, Ernest Hillman, Harold Hougey, Rich Howell, Al Lachner, Ray Lawson, Emmett Long, Boyce McClain, Brother Monsur, Harry Reynolds, Gary Rose, Gary Souza, G. Dudley Stout, Leroy Thompson, Claud Thurman, Steven Vawter, and Art Walters.
These brothers in Christ have served this congregation as elders: Al Almond, Jim Biggers, Charles Buchanan, George Crews, Bobby Deason, George Eubanks, Charles Flint, Billy Fly, Ernest Hillman, Ray Lawson, Jon Norried, Stanley Reinhardt, Neal Royal, and Bud Vawter.
Please see the "Leadership" page to see our current elders, deacons, and ministers.